Change MAC Address On Windows Computer (Full Guide)
Change MAC Address On Windows Computer:
Hi friends! Today we are going to discuss How To Change MAC Address On Windows. The first question which comes to our mind what is MAC Address and why would I need to change my MAC Address? Typically a MAC Address remains unchanged forever. However, this ID can be changed, and we are going to discuss how – and why – to do it.
Well, there are two reasons to Change MAC Address. One, you need to change your MAC Address so that your network recognizes your device and allow it to connect. Also prevent criminals from imitating devices they don’t actually have. Two, to hide your real identity you may need to change / spoof your MAC Address. It is also useful for creating a number of network filters for protection.
Here’s a complete guide on how to Change your MAC Address easily on Windows.
What Is MAC Address?
A MAC Address (Media Access Control Addresses) is a 12-character unique identification code. It is a crucial element of both wired and wireless networking. It is used to define physical devices in a network, so that the network knows exactly which devices it is in communication with. Its purpose is to distinguish one network adapter or network interface controller from another, and through it the different networked devices. Network adapters are assigned their unique MAC address during manufacturing with an alphanumeric sequence at the beginning of the address as an identifier.
Alse See : How To Create Torrent & Share Your Own Files
Why Change Your MAC Address?
There are many reasons why you might need to change your MAC address.
- A very important reason is privacy.
- If you want to access a network, which limits access based on MAC address, from another machine then you can change MAC address to the one for which you have access.
- If your original MAC address is revealed, an hacker can use it to impersonate you! On many networks (wired or wireless) access is restricted based on MAC address to avoid access to unauthorized devices on the network.
How To Find / Identify Current MAC Address on Windows?
- Open Search Box (Alternatively Press Windows + R)
- Enter Cmd to Open Command Prompt
- Right Click >> Run as Administrator
- Enter IPCONFIG command to check your Current IP & MAC Address
- You will see all details of currently connected network where third line is Your MAC Address (Also known as Physical Address) Example – 40-A2-D9-82-9F-F2
- Note down your MAC Address
How To Spoof / Change MAC Address on Windows?
You can change the MAC Address for the network card in Windows pretty easily following the simple steps below.
- Click on Start, then Control Panel, then Network Connections, and right-click on the network connection you want to change the MAC address for and select Properties. It will be either Local Area Connection or Wireless Network Connection. If you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or higher, you have to go to Control Panel, then Network and Internet, then Network and Sharing Center. Click on Manage Network Connections or Change adapter settings. Then you can right-click on the adapter and choose Properties.
- On the General or Networking tab, click the Configure button.
- Now click on the Advanced tab and click on the Locally Administered Address property or the Network Address property. By default, the Not Present value is selected. Now click on the Value radio button and enter a new MAC address without the dashes. Remember – The MAC address is a combination of 6 pairs of numbers and characters, example 40-A2-D9-82-9F-F2.
- Now you can go to command prompt and type in IPCONFIG /ALL to check that the MAC address has been changed. Restart the computer in order for the changes to take effect.
How To Use MAC Address Changer / Generator?
MAC address changers / generators are software tools that you can download for FREE. It is a great software for anyone who’s not completely confident with this kind of task. They will show you everything you could want to know about all the network connections on your computer, including the original and active MAC addresses, and network speed. They include options to change MAC addresses and set certain rules for making the change random, making the change persistent, restoring original settings, and so on. We recommend using the Technitium Mac Address Changer.